Mobile Automation Testing – Appium
Appium is an open-source tool for mobile automation testing. Appium is used to automate native, hybrid and mobile web applications on iOS mobile, Android mobile and Windows platforms. Appium is cross-platform, it allows us to write test scripts using the same API and ensures code reusability across the supporting platforms.
Appium uses vendor-provided automation frameworks under the hood,
- XCUITest (iOS 9.3 and above)
- UiAutomator / UiAutomator2 (Android 4.2 and above)
- Microsoft’s WinAppDriver
Advantages of Appium
- Appium doesn’t require any Source code changes to run the test scripts.
- Multi-language support for writing test scripts like PHP, Python, Java, etc.
- Appium is precise as we test a production version of the app, there is no recompilation involved during runtime.
- Appium produces reliable test results and reduces testing time. It supports simultaneous testing on real devices, emulators and simulators.
- Appium executes the same test scripts across mobile platforms without any added effort, except for minor configuration changes for respective platforms.
- Appium supports Inspector to accelerate testing efforts through record and playback functionality.
- Appium is a versatile tool and has a large support community, making it a stronger choice for mobile automation.
Limitations of Appium
- Appium doesn’t perform testing on mobile devices that run on lower versions of Android (below 4.2).
- Performance is comparatively less when performing hybrid app testing; Whereas it performs well on native app testing.
- Unlike other mobile automation testing tools, Appium lacks the capability to locate images automatically.
- Appium in its current capability, cannot implement some of the commonly used gestures like double-clicking in Java-client libraries.
- Appium lacks the option to run Appium Inspector on Windows.
Please reach us out to learn more about mobile automation framework and Appium for your mobile test automation needs.